Sunday, November 19, 2017

Understanding the Old Testament: Is is relevant to us today?

Genesis-1 Kings

Sin. Brokenness. Throughout the books of Genesis to 1st Kings it is undeniably apparent that humanity drifts from God's commands and guidance. Often times, it is intentional, because God has shared the direction in which He desires. Yet, humanity fails. Other times, the awareness is skewed by cultural beliefs and standards. Some people haven't heard the word of God. Throughout the time span of Genesis to 1 Kings, we see repetition of brokenness and sin. This is the major theme of being the fallen. While this is a large and overarching major theme, it is so prominent to not mention. There is way too much to mention in one discussion thread that we see falling under the umbrella of sin and brokenness: (e.g., sexual immorality, murder, deceit, greed, discrimination, etc.). 

A minor theme that I see throughout the Old Testament is the presence of God being a good father with his consequences. These laws and consequences provided structure and the learning that God's children needed. Just like present day parents provide rules, guidance, and structure needed for children to grow up knowing right from wrong, God was providing both his promises to the people as well as what would happen as a result of not following his commands. 

This shaped and molding the biblical picture by introducing God's promises to all of humanity. His covenant love and grace for His children. This introduced God as not only a just God, but loving and merciful. I used to read the Old Testament and feel drawn away by what I thought to be harsh and irrelevant. But I know now that was missing the true meaning. 

If God did not love his creation, he would not of kept coming back time and time again, with commands and treaties of his promises. That is what a good father does. 

The "so what?" moment is this: once we can understand the overarching meanings of the Old Testament, we can understand the lifeblood they have in us as humanity and individually in our own ministry. For me, with my ministry path in relationship to ecology, nature, creation, and our justice system (on a macro level), I can see how I may offer encouragement and grace to humans that are sinful and broken. It's relevant and I can empathize since we are all in that boat. I can also provide direction and structure to help guide people to a place of empowerment, safety, and whatever else they may be in need of. Bottom line, I want to show God in the way I live my life: and for me that means, not abandoning people.